recent posts

banner image

Sensory Deprivation Tank / Float Therapy


So I've been doing this sensory deprivation therapy thingy. It's a pod filled with epsom salt and you strip naked, close the pod and float in it. I figured what the heck, try something new.

So here's my experience. The visit is per appt, so I had to leave office at 715pm to reach Hartamas before 8pm. Met up with Mel who was very friendly and informative and explained all the steps required. The pod was in a small room and it looked like a spaceship, something Superman would arrive in. I took a shower, put in my ear plugs and stepped into the pod.

To be honest, I was scared as I did not know how to swim and the loss of control and unnatural buoyancy of the salty water threw me off. I kept hearing my loud heart beat due to the ear plugs and the more I paid attention, the quicker my heart beat.

There was a neck pillow and a fibre foam head support which suspiciously looked like a toilet seat; as I couldn't find a comfortable position for my neck. I turned off the lights and closed the pod and tried my best to enjoy the experience. It was difficult, to be alone with my own thoughts, but slowly I forgot about my thundering heartbeat. Toward the end of the one hour, I started to feel restless and then nauseous as I kept drifting around due to my movement.

When it was over, another quick shower and towel off. Then Mel explained the benefits of floating. It was too long and I was really hungry (cos I was doing potato diet) so didn't really pay attention. 1 hour of floating costed RM180. For repeat floats, she offers discounts.

A week before my 4th Malaysia Open, anticipating a stressful tournament, I booked another session. Unfortunately, Aunt Flo decided to rear her ugly head 30 min before my session and I had to postpone.

Second session, I requested Mel to play my own music, so she gave me a bluetooth speaker and I streamed Tamara Levitt's soothing voice over the Calm app. Amazingly I couldn't hear my heartbeat this time and the session passed by quicker. I even napped for awhile.

As for the benefits, well, I floated with destressing in mind. I felt really refreshed and lucid after the session. It was supposed to improve sleep but I don't really have trouble sleeping except for the usual Netflix distractions.

Will I float again? I will give floating another 2 more tries before assessing.
Sensory Deprivation Tank / Float Therapy Sensory Deprivation Tank / Float Therapy Reviewed by Surebor on August 13, 2019 Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.