recent posts

banner image

Let's get automatic!

Automating stuff

I'm a lazy person. Period. Back when I was young (LOL), I was so lazy, I never cleaned the house. I relied on my aunt or mom to do it for me. Now that I'm older & attached, I cannot stand dirt and hair on my new white tiles. Maybe it's a sign of aging. Also my cats pee on anything plastic or made of cloth if it's left lying around. So that's an incentive to pick my things up.

I'm a firm believer that if a thing is repetitive, it should be automated. Time is precious. Why spend it doing the same thing over & over again. I always quote this:

Insanity is doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results

So I try to automate whenever I can. Aspects of my life that I have and plan to automate:

1. PC
I'm sure you have a set of fav programs that you always open when you turn on your PC. For me it is:

  • Chrome which opens Facebook, gmail
  • Teamviewer (so I can remote from my ipad)
  • Photoshop 
  • Notepad (for doodling & jotting notes)
So I set this to run on startup so that I dont have to click & wait. In fact, my PC turns on @ 7:00 pm so it's just waiting for me when I reach home. Here's how to do it

2. Alarms
If you read my previous post, you would know i'm always late.
So I decided to put my life (my oh so predictable life) on my ipad so that it will always remind me :
  • to wake up at 830am on Mondays -> Fridays
  • to pay bills on last week of every month
  • to wake up at 8am on Saturday for karate class
  • to wake up at 930am on Sunday for karate class
  • to go for karate class at 800pm on Wednesdays & Fridays
  • to clean the house on Saturday noon
  • to start reading books on my ipad at 11pm every nite
  • to do my current projects at 9pm every nite

3. Home stuff
How cool would it be if I arrive home, scan my thumbprint, the doors unlock, the lights turn on, curtains draw back, air purifier + air conditioning turns on, TV turns on, kettle (with water inside) heats up?

Some folks are already doing this using arduino & other home automation systems.

4. Finance
Yeah yeah, I have a career in IT, yet I'm apprehensive about automating my finances. This is due to a bad experience where I automated my car instalment payment and it didn't go through, causing my car to be towed. I can still hear my buddy Tee laughing at me when I thought my car was stolen. Once bitten, twice shy. I'll just manually transfer my funds every month. Thank you very much.
Let's get automatic! Let's get automatic! Reviewed by Surebor on July 03, 2013 Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.